Prema Yoga Therapeutics Essentials
With Lead InstructorS: Dana Slamp,
Guest Teachers: Erica Mather, Stephanie Ervin, and Chris Chen
Location: Pure East
Dates: February 2–25, 2018
Explore how a yoga & meditation practice can significantly support health and wellness. Learn the science and physiology behind the "down-regulating" aspects of restorative yoga, Hatha, meditation, slow flow, and pranayama. "Scan" the body to improve symmetry and manage pain, to alter postures when in recovery, and to practice mindfully as you age. Modify your practice and teaching mindfully in chair yoga, rope wall work, and propping. Learn ancient, evidence-informed techniques to reduce anxiety and depression, as well as how adjust teaching and practice when an injury of disease is present. Perfect for yoga teachers, therapists, and yoga enthusiasts alike.
OF YOUR CAREER TODAY!
PYI Therapeutics Essentials COURSE INCLUDES:
- Review anatomy, detailing how to prevent injuries in yoga.
- Teaching beginners.
- Adjusting yoga for back care, joint health, and proper alignment.
- Chair Yoga sequencing for various injuries or conditions.
- Rope wall yoga.
- Adapting the practice for weight management, arthritis, common injuries, the effects of aging, and more.
Pranayama, Philosophy, Meditations, and Musical Therapy
- The science of breathing.
- The psychology of the chakra system.
- The path of health and wellness in the Yoga Sutras.
- Addressing anxiety, depression, auto-immune deficiency disorders, and other modern ailments.
- Meditations for balance and wellness
Restorative Yoga, Slow Flow, and Yin/Yang
- The science of immunity
- Adjustments and sequencing.
- Acupressure points for massage and energetic flow.
- Meditations for mental balance and setting proper boundaries.
- Sequencing for ease and sustainability.
- How to create a calm and meditative flow.
- How to build heat within a limited range of motion.
- Avoiding injuries.
- How to use the doshas (body/personality types) diagnostically in practice and teaching.
- Adjusting the yoga practice for time of year, time of day, and time of life.
- Bringing your practice off the mat in a practical, holistic way.
ABOUT THE TEACHERS
DANA SLAMP, C-IAYT, ERYT500 (FOUNDER, PROGRAM DIRECTOR)
A childhood in the church and a career in classical theater led Dana to a lifelong interest in community support, wellness, the arts, and the divine.
Dana began teaching yoga in 2005, offering vinyasa classes known for their spirit, strength, and safety across New York City. She joined the senior staff at Pure Yoga in 2008, expanding her teaching to therapeutic classes, as well as teaching in Pure's renowned 200 hour Teacher Training and Professional Mentorship Program.
Despite her love of classes, Dana saw the great need for one-on-one, specialized therapeutic teaching in the tradition of "yoga chikitsa" - "yoga medicine." In 2010, she served as Managing Teacher at Pure West, and eventually cocreated the 300 hr advanced teacher training program at Yoga Vida. Dana completed over 1100 hours of yoga, Ayurveda, meditation, and yoga therapy training with Guru Dharam, Dana Flynn, Dr. Marc Halpern and Yogi Charu - becoming one of the first certified yoga therapists in the US.
In 2012, Dana founded Prema Yoga Institute, New York's premiere yoga therapy school. PYI offers a radical collaboration between wellness professionals devoted to yoga, bridging the gaps between yoga and healthcare and academia and yoga. PYI prepares wellness professionals to provide yoga and mindfulness to diverse populations - regardless of any injuries or limitations present. (Premayogainstitute.com)
She continues to teach internationally, contributes to countless teacher trainings, and has presented at the Telluride Yoga Festival, Wanderlust in the City, and several times at the Yoga Journal Conference. She has been honored to consult on research projects and wellness programs for clinics, doctor's offices, condominiums, and corporations. Dana is a member of IAYT and currently practices in New York City. (Danaslamp.com)
Jon Witt, E-RYT 500 (SENIOR THERAPEUTICS TEACHER)
Jon completed his 6 month Atmavikas Yoga Therapy Teacher Training Course with Yogacharya V. Venkatesha of Mysore, India. This was an exceptional opportunity to learn the old traditions the way yoga was originally taught -one on one and in residence. Before focusing on therapeutics, Jon came to yoga from a different kind of mat. After wrestling competitively for 10 years, he turned to yoga for therapy and relief. A dedicated Bikram practice followed and he soon completed his first teacher training with Bikram Choudhury in 2002. Jon was chosen to be one of the original Pure Yoga instructors, and spent 5 years teaching in Hong Kong. He has continued to dedicate time to his yoga education, studying with teachers such as Dharma Mittra, Anthony Carlisi, Baron Baptiste, Doug Keller, Kristyan Stjerne, Patrick Creelman, and Tim Miller. He currently teaches Yoga Therapy, Back Care, Basics, Slow Flow, Vinyasa and more in New York, New York.
February 2–25, 2018
Fridays | 6:00pm - 9:00pm
Saturdays | 9:00am - 6:00pm
Sundays | 11:00am - 8:00pm
- Yoga Sutra's of Patanjali - please read the first two "padas" before training.
- The Heart of Yoga - by Desikachar
- Prema Therapeutics Essentials Manual
- Relax and Renew by Judith Lasseter
- Yoga for Emotional Balance by Bo Forbes.
Non Members | $ 1500
Equinox Members | $1350
Pure Members | $ 1300
Pure 200 Hour TT Grads | $1250
Prema TT Grads | $1200
**Early Bird Discount: Register by January 5 and get $100 off
PYI THERAPEUTICS ESSENTIALS COURSE:
- Counts towards 500 hour Yoga Teacher Certification from Pure Yoga
- Is required for PYI's 1000 Yoga Therapy Certification www.premayogainstitute.com
- May be transferred for graduate credits at Saybrook University, upon acceptance
- PYI is an IAYT Member School with accreditation in process